• Otočić Sveta Marija
    Otočić Sveta Marija
    Otočić Sveta Marija na mljetskom Velikom jezeru
  • Dubrovačke zidine
    Dubrovačke zidine
    Dubrovačke gradske zidine su sklop utvrda koje okružuju stari dio grada ...

Babino Polje

The most important village on the island ever since. It is situated in the middle of the island, and is about 4 kilometers long.  It is one of the most ancient Mljet villages. The first church in Babino Polje was built in 11th century. It was dedicated to the St. Pancratius, the first patron saint of the island. In 1039. the church became the property of Benedictines from Lokrum  island, so the Roman-Catholic parish was established in the village. Already than Babino Polje became the most important village of the whole island. During the Republic of Dubrovnik the Duke used to live in Babino Polje. The Great Council made a decision that from 14.05.1493. Duke of Mljet was to be chosen every seven months. It was also decided that a house (Duke's Palace) should be built. However, the house was finished only in 1554. by Dubrovnik's state founds, so first dukes of Mljet did not live on the island. The first Duke ever lived in that house was Savin Bobaljevic, who came there in 1500. Duke's Palace is situated on a solitary spot under the village, between Sotnica and St. Blaise church. On 03.02. of each year there is a Holly Mass in honour of St. Blaise, the saint of the village. There used to be regular processions to the churches on days of St. Michael, St. John and St. Salvation. Nowdays the most celebrated one takes place every year on 24th of June, on day of St. John. On 03.02. of each year there is a Holly Mass in honour of St. Blaise, the saint of the village.

 
No images

Smještaj Babino Poje

Foreign Exchange


09.08.2022
Middle
GBP GBP
1
8,912333
USD USD
1
7,373280
EUR EUR
1
7,510423
canakkale canakkale canakkale